Meet James and Alex
Master Coaches for U6, U7 and U8 programs | http://www.westseattlesoccer.org/UKISC_Coaches
Teams meet with MCO coaches
Coaches describe the activity
Team coaches run through the activity
Team players give it a try!
Players learn skills while competing
Teams gather when training is completed
MCO coaches recap what was learned
Up to 10 teams go through training at once
Training occurs on south end of Madison MS field
Games follow training
After training is complete, teams play games on north end of Madison field
Madison MS Field layout
Training at the south end; games at the north end
U-06 and U-07 Teams
- Due to over-enrollment of our U-6 and U-7 program, the first game for this age group will be Sunday, Sept. 16, and the last game will be Sunday, Nov. 4.
- The Master Coach training program (described below) will start on Sunday, Sept. 9. Teams can participate in an optional informal game after their training. The Team Training Schedule is now posted.
- The Training Curriculum will be posted weekly. Scroll down page to view.
- The first master coach training sessions were held on Tuesday, August 28 and Tuesday, September 4. Starting next week through the end of September, training will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Team Training Schedule (Revised 9-16).
- The Training Curriculum will be posted weekly. Scroll down page to view
Master coaching -- player and coach development (U-6 to U-8)
The West Seattle Soccer Club (WSSC) is partnering with Master Coach Online (MCO) to provide an age and competence appropriate program for our entry-level (U-6 to U-8) players and coaches. Based upon the latest United State Soccer Federation (USSF) curriculum, players and coaches will be guided through an age and competence appropriate program that enables us to "coach the players and teach the coaches."
"Coaching Players - Teaching Coaches"
This side-by-side student-teacher methodology will enable volunteer coaches to learn the age-appropriate technical, tactical, physical, mental and emotional requirements for teaching soccer to young players. This beneficial partnership between professional staff coaches and volunteers will enhance the performance of the coach on the player's and in return, impacts the player's performance in the game.
Introducing the "practice - play" format
Coaches and their teams participate in a practice session led by two MCO coaches. Once the practice session concludes, the team moves to the game fields for weekly games (in the case of U-8 teams, the games are informal). Here is an overview of how it works for each age group (and keep scrolling for SESSION PLANS and program FAQs).
U-6 & U-7
Players and Coaches
Players and Coaches
|Begins||Sunday, Sept. 9||Tuesday, Aug. 28|
Master Coach training:
Master Coach training:
Eight to ten teams practice for 40 mins, then move to scheduled games (30 mins, five U-7 fields). Total time commitment is 1 hour, 30 minutes.
Note: Practices will be shorter the first two weeks to ensure games start on time.
Last game concludes at 5:30pm.
Teams practice for 45 mins, then can opt for informal games (four U-8 fields).
Madison MS, 3429 45th Ave, SW, Seattle
|Riverview North playfield, 7226 12th Ave SW Seattle|
Curriculum / Session
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are we changing?
- Feedback! Coaches reaching out for more help, players seeking higher competency
- Players abilities surpassing the experience/guidance of the coach
- We believe this is an effective way to provide soccer education
- Take the pressure off the volunteer coach
- Good of the game
What will WSSC provide?
- Master Coach. On field support for the duration of the season
- Weekly session plans.
- Age appropriate season-long curriculum
Can U-6 and U-7 coaches choose to have additional team practices during the week?
- Yes. Madison MS field is reserved Monday - Friday, 5pm to dusk for optional team practices.
- (For U-8 coaches, Riverview North field is reserved Monday - Friday, 5pm to dusk if the Tuesday/Thursday Master Coach training poses a scheduling conflict for the coach.)
When will training schedules be posted?
- U-6 and U-7: schedules will be posted one week prior to the start of training (Sept. 9).
- U-8: schedules will be posted one week prior to the start of training (Aug. 28).
When are games held?
- U-6 and U-7: games follow training and are held on Sundays. First game is Sept. 16.
- U-8: games are held on Saturdays. First game is Sept. 15.
- View Schedules Page.
How can coaches learn more?
- Attend the Coed U-6 & U-7 Coaches meeting on Thursday, Aug. 23, 7-8:30pm at Grace Church, 10323 28th Ave SW, Seattle.
- Questions or concerns can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
View the Programs page to learn more about the Coed U-6 & U-7, and U-8 age group programs.
At this age children do not have the same capacity as adults to analyze the environment. They explore and have an egocentric conception of the world.
Children are still gathering the experience necessary to interact with their surroundings and with others. Also, empathy and the capacity to consider the thoughts and feelings of others are very low. In order to help children build their own experience, many exercises will be individual (e.g. each player will have a ball). The tactical component of the game will be reduced to small-sided games with basic explanations about space distribution. Training sessions will be treated more as physical education than specifically as soccer training.
Check out the USSF Full Curriculum - http://tinyurl.com/USSF-Full-Curriculum