Fall 2013 • Updated Nov. 25, 2013
We at the WSSC want to thank all of you for your countless hours of service helping to create a great soccer experience for all our kids here in West Seattle-we would be nothing without you folks!
- Mandatory Coaches meetings
U-08 and older Coaches,
Thurs., July 18, 7-8:30pm, Grace Church, 10323 28th Ave SW, Seattle
Coed U6 and U7 Coaches
Thurs., Aug. 22, 7-8:30pm, Grace Church, 10323 28th Ave SW, Seattle
- Agenda (pdf)
- Coed U6/U7 Coaches packet (pdf)
- Master Coaching overview
- U-08 and older Coaches,
Download Practice Fields - Updated Nov. 25
Note: some fields are reserved for club training and camps.
- Summer coaches' game is Saturday, August 24, 1pm at Delridge South.
- Schedules -- visit the schedules page. Fall 2013 schedules now posted.
- Entering a tournament? Please plan ahead! View guidelines here.
- Rules -- please review the rules page.
- U.K. Soccer International Online Coaching Curriculum (all ages) -- Access 1000+ age appropriate activities that will assist in making you a better coach.
- Sports Participation Policy - Seattle Parks, 2002 (PDF). This document lists guidance for use of athletic fields in Seattle. Please note: NO AIR HORNS at fields
- Fall Kickoff Jamboree (U-08 to U-11) -- view Jamboree page for more information.
- Master coaching -- player and coach development (U-6 to U-8). WSSC is partnering with Master Coach Online (MCO) to provide an age and competence appropriate program for our entry-level (U-6 to U-8) players and coaches. Learn more
Hi WSSC Coaches,
We are very excited to report that Legends Sports Photography Northwest is returning to take team and individual pictures for the WSSC. Team scheduling (Coaches) and picture ordering (Parents) are available ONLINE!
The coach is responsible to schedule the picture time for the team. All teams and players will be photographed at scenic Hamilton View Point on Saturday, September 21st, or on Sunday, September 29th.
- To schedule for Saturday, September 21st, click here,
- To schedule for Sunday, September 29th, click here
Then follow these steps:
- Click on the open date on the calendar (9/21 or 9/29)
- Register you and your team
- Select an open time that works best for your team - first come, first served!
Remember to choose a time prior to your match or another convenient time and to allow plenty of time for travel - especially if you are playing outside of West Seattle. Teams that play games on
Saturday should choose the Saturday session, and teams that play matches on Sunday should choose the Sunday session. If it is not possible to schedule pictures on your game day you may schedule on
the alternate day as a last resort.
The system will send you an email confirming your team's picture time. As soon as you have confirmed the time and date, please notify your team parents. We will send the links out shortly for your team parents to order pictures online instead of filling out the picture envelope.
Coaching Education Opportunities
Interested in becomming a better soccer coach? Here are some links to several upcoming clinics and education opportunities:
Upcoming WSSC Coaches Clinics
- Saturday, Aug. 17, 9am to Noon, Free Coaches Clinic for U-06 and U-11 Coaches
Walt Hundley Playfield; Hosted by UK International
Online coaching modules make coaching education easy by using visual demonstrations via video or animation, combined with printable exercises and one page practices sessions. WYS offers a comprehensive learning process that makes it simpler for a coach to see, read and implement the individual exercises and age appropriate development for U6, U8, U10 & U12 coaches in your own time and in the comfort of your home: http://www.washingtonyouthsoccer.org/technical_zone/coaching_education/online_courses/
Age Appropriate Training sessions from WYS:
We also want you to be aware of our Age Appropriate training sessions which are 8 weeks' worth of pre-planned training sessions for age groups U6, U8, U10 and U12. Each week includes four different activities and is specifically designed to provide training based on the needs of that age-group. Additionally, each activity is in print and video format - coaches can see the training exercises in action with the videos and then print the diagrams out to bring to the field: http://www.washingtonyouthsoccer.org/technical_zone/coaching_tools/age_appropriate_training_sessions/
Upcoming Clinics in our Area:
The WSYSA coaches education page has the course schedule: http://www.washingtonyouthsoccer.org/coaches/coaching_education/course_schedule/
What to do if the field lights don't come on?
- FIRST, confirm that WSSC has the field reserved. View the Practice field reservations posted on this page.
- CALL the Seattle Parks Field Lights hotline at 1-855-330-8400. This number is staffed by a vendor, Skylogix. (If no response, call Parks Duty Officer, 206-992-4583)
- Identify yourself by full name and role in the organization.
- Share the field location, time, and our field reservation schedule.
- Please communicate with other field users present at the site to reduce the calls to the hotline.
- Please notify email@example.com of the outage and result after practice
Hello WSSC Coaches -
Most of the information on this page is also listed in the Coaches Handbook, which is distributed at the coaches meetings prior to the fall and spring seasons.
Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
As the weather gets a little cooler and school is right around the corner, it means that our Fall soccer season is almost here! With our Fall season at WSSC almost upon us, and practices starting to fire up in earnest this next week, I would like to remind all of our coaches about some of our guidelines at WSSC for conducting your teams practices.
WSSC reserves practice times at many fields in West Seattle. You can find our WSSC practice field reservations on this page (scroll down page).
Points to remember:
- Try to practice where you play your games--it will help spread out our teams around all of our West Seattle fields.
- SHARE THE FIELDS!!! A team can not occupy an entire field for their practice--if no other team shows up, then it is fine to use the entire field, but be prepared to run your practice on a half or 1/3 of a field space. 3 teams can effectively use 1 field to run each of their practices--plan ahead! We all need to work together to share all of our fields.
- Please allow older teams to practice in front of the full size goals. If you coach a younger age team, please allow teams that use the big goals to practice in front of the big goals.
- Please do not schedule scrimmages during WSSC practice field reservation times. If you are the only 2 teams on a particular field, then please have an impromptu scrimmage! Be aware that if other WSSC teams show up to use the field, you must share the field! As stated earlier, 3 teams may have to use one full sized field for their practices--keep that in mind when planning a scrimmage. If you can find field time outside of scheduled WSSC practice times, please set up your preplanned scrimmages at those times.
- No air horns or dogs at games.
- Walk the pitch before each practice and game to note drains, irregular surfaces, garbage, dog "treats"--things that could inhibit your team during training/games.
- Thank you all for stepping up and coaching with WSSC this fall--we could not do it without all of you! You are making a huge impression on all our young players that they will remember for the rest of their lives--be a good influence and example!
Thanks for making WSSC thrive and have a tremendous Fall season!
VP of Coaches WSSC
Game Fields by Age Group
Fall 2013 (tentative)
U-06 - Madison MS and Roxhill South (new)
U-07 - Madison MS and Roxhill South (new)
U-08 - Riverview North
U-09 - Highland Park
U-10 - Riverview South
U-11 - E.C. Hughes (Association teams)
U-11 - Walt Hundley (SYSA teams)
U-12 and older - Delridge North and South, Hiawatha, Sealth Stadium, Walt Hundley
Fall Practice Fields. WSSC teams are encouraged to practice at the fields where their games are held. See list of Fall Practice Fields reserved on left of page. BE SURE TO CHECK RESERVED TIMES -- this can change from week to week.
Other Fields and Practice Venues:
- Alki Playfield
- Fairmont Park
- Roxhill North